Wednesday 30 September 2015

Applying for Jobs Before You Have Your Diploma In Hand

From New Republic
Congrats! You graduated! Many TEFL employers want copies of your degree and not being able to prove that you've graduated can hurt your chances of getting an interview. Here are some things that you can do to show that you've earned your degree. These ideas were taken from the Foreign Professors and University English Teachers in Korea Facebook group
  • Ask the registrar for digital copy 
  • Ask for transcripts either in PDF or hard copies
  • Just state that you've graduated but are waiting for your diploma in your cover letter 
  • Get an official letter stating you graduated


Friday 25 September 2015

How to Apply for Jobs When Your Current Boss Doesn't Like You

From V Productions
Getting reference letters can be stressful and it can be even more difficult if your current boss doesn't like you. There are a few things that you can do in this situation.
  • Write your own reference letter. It's really a lot more common than you think. Even when your boss likes you they may ask you to write your own reference letter.
  • Ask for proof of employment. Just the facts. Your name, date you started working there, and your responsibilities should be listed.
  • Ask someone else to write a reference letter. It doesn't have to be your direct supervisor. Try to find other people who can vouch for you.


Wednesday 16 September 2015

How a Tax Treaty Can Help You Save on US Expat Taxes

The following post is from a guest blogger from Greenback Tax Services.

How a Tax Treaty Can Help You Save on US Expat Taxes

Have you heard of US tax treaties? If not, you aren’t alone! While most expats can offset their US tax liability using the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, the Foreign Tax Credit or the Foreign Housing Exclusion, sometimes there are tax treaty benefits that can provide additional relief from US taxation. Not every country has a treaty with the US but if you live in a country that does, you may be able to take advantage of their tax-saving benefits!

What is a tax treaty?

Tax treaties primary help US non-residents or dual-resident taxpayers. Under these treaty agreements, residents of countries outside the US may be taxed at a reduced rate, or certain income items received by these residents could be exempt from US taxes.  Unfortunately the largest amount of tax treaty provisions do not apply to US citizens or green card holders living abroad; but there are some exceptions. For instance, the US tax treaties with the UK and Canada include provisions that apply to US citizens living in those countries.

Under these treaties, residents (not necessarily citizens) of foreign countries are taxed at a reduced rate, or are exempt from US taxes on certain items of income they receive from sources within the United States. 

As you might expect, the reduced rates and exemptions vary by country and by type of income received. In addition, residents or citizens of the United States are taxed at a reduced rate, or are entirely exempt from foreign taxes, on certain items of income they receive from sources within foreign countries, too. You’ll need to have a permanent residence in a foreign country for many of the treaty benefits to apply. 

However, most income tax treaties contain what is known as a "saving clause" which prevents a citizen or resident of the US from taking advantage of the provisions of a tax treaty to avoid taxes on US income. This clause preserves the right of the country to tax you as if no treaty existed if it appears you are trying to avoid taxation. This is a bit confusing, so you may want to read up on the savings clause in more detail.

To find out if your country has a tax treaty with the US, the IRS has an updated listing here

What is the biggest benefit of a tax treaty?

The prevention of dual-taxation is far and away the greatest benefit. To explain it simply, these treaties prevent you from being taxed in the US and in your host country on the same income. 

Let’s look at an example. 

You are a US person living in South Korea. You are employed as a teacher in an international school. The school is not a US company, so only withholds South Korean taxes from your income. Because you are a US person, you are required to report your worldwide income on your US tax return each year, and subsequently pay US tax on that income. So, on the surface, it seems as though you are being double taxed, paying taxes to South Korea and the US on the same income. This is where the benefit of a tax treaty comes into play. Since the US and South Korea have a tax treaty, you are able to use the taxes that you have already paid to South Korea on your income to offset any US taxes on the same income. 

If you are a South Korean resident, and you are sent by your employer on temporary work assignment to the US, you can also utilize the US – South Korea tax treaty. Your income earned while you were working in the US is only subject to tax in the US. Your taxes paid to South Korea can be used to offset the taxes due in the US and vice versa. 

To utilize tax treaty benefits, Form 8833 must be attached to your US expat tax return. You simply provide an explanation of the treaty-based position you are applying, as well as the amount of exempt income and a brief summary of the facts upon which the treaty position is based.

Can tax treaties offset Social Security taxes?

Yes, but only if the foreign country in which you reside has a specific type of tax treaty, called a Totalization Agreement. These agreements, which the US has with 25 countries, prevent you from paying into two Social Security systems at one time. 

If you work for a US employer, and you are relocated to South Korea for less than 5 years, your employer will continue to withhold US social security taxes from your pay. You will not pay social security taxes to South Korea. If you are sent for more than 5 years, or you were originally employed in South Korea, you will pay social security taxes to South Korea alone.  The benefit to the Totalization Agreement is that your social security credits will count whether you are paying into the US or the South Korean social security systems.  This means that if you choose to retire in the US after working under the South Korean social security system, the credits you earned while abroad will be used to calculate your total benefits in the US If you choose to retire in South Korea after working under the US social security system, your US credits will be used to help calculate your total benefits in South Korea. 

South Korea is not the only country the US has a Totalization Agreement with. Here are the countries that have Totalization Agreements with the US.:

Countries with Social Security Agreements
Entry into Force
November 1, 1978
December 1, 1979
November 1, 1980
July 1, 1984
July 1, 1984
August 1, 1984
January 1, 1985
January 1, 1987
April 1, 1988
July 1, 1988
August 1, 1989
November 1, 1990
November 1, 1991
November 1, 1992
September 1, 1993
November 1, 1993
September 1, 1994
April 1, 2001
December 1, 2001
October 1, 2002
October 1, 2005
October 1, 2008
January 1, 2009
March 1, 2009
May 1, 2014

Source: SSA

What if I am self-employed?

Here is more good news! Earning income as an independent contractor or as a sole proprietor (small business owner) in one of these 25 countries exempts you from US self-employment tax. Self-employment taxes are Social Security and Medicare taxes on your income, and are calculated differently than income taxes.  The Totalization Agreement allows you to avoid US self-employment taxes as long as you don’t have a fixed base in the US available to perform the services. (A fixed based means a fixed place of business, which includes a branch, place of management, an office or a warehouse.) So, if you are living in South Korea, you will only pay self-employment taxes (or their equivalent) in South Korea. Remember that this doesn’t eliminate the need to pay regular ole’ US income taxes, however!  

In order to avoid paying self-employment taxes you will need to get a certificate of coverage letter from your local taxing agency or the US, depending upon the wording of the specific Totalization Agreement. A certificate of coverage is generally a letter or form that certifies that you are covered by that country’s social security system. You should only have to request this form once for as long as you stay in the same self-employment position, only requesting a new form if there is a break in your employment status. 

For South Korea, you would need to request a certificate of coverage from the National Pension Service. You will receive a form KOR-USA 4 from the National Pension Service. A copy of this form will need to be attached to your US tax return each year you claim an exemption from the self-employment taxes. 

Tax treaties are complicated, so we highly suggest speaking with an expat tax professional to determine if claiming a treaty-based position will help you reduce your US expat taxes!

This post was written by David McKeegan, co-founder of Greenback Expat Tax Services. Greenback specializes in the preparation of US expat taxes for Americans living abroad. Greenback offers straightforward pricing, a simple, hassle-free process, and CPAs and IRS Enrolled Agents who have extensive experience in the field of expat tax preparation.

For more information about Greenback Expat Tax Services or US tax treaties, please contact us or visit


Tuesday 15 September 2015

27 Tips for Staying Warm in the Cold Winter Months

From Her Campus
TEFL apartments tend to be old and drafty. Teachers' salaries often don't allow for you to blast the heat. Here are some ways to stay warm and save money on heating bills.

  1. Wool socks: I discovered wool socks a few years ago and haven't looked back. They usually come in at least three different weights: light, mid, and heavy. I have a handful of mid-weight pairs from SmartWool. Amazon tends to have good deals and Sierra Trading Post has discounted seconds. 
  2. Long underwear: In Asia they are thick and black with fleece on the inside. Uniqlo is famous for its Heattech long underwear. They have tops and bottoms. Other people swear by silk long underwear. Thermasilk always gets rave reviews. 
  3. Wear layers: It'll keep you warmer and you'll be able to take layers off if you go to a classroom that's super hot. 
  4. Hats: This goes especially for guys who shave their heads. I know of teachers who teach with a hat on. 
  5. Scarves: Whether it's a thin scarf or a thick winter scarf, keeping your neck warm will make a big difference. 

Window and Door Treatments
  1. Drapes: Open the drapes during the day to let the sun in and close them at night. Make sure you have nice, thick drapes. Insulated drapes make a huge difference in cutting down on drafts. 
  2. Bubble wrap: Put bubble wrap on your windows to help insulate them. Here's a good video explaining how to do so. 
  3. Foam strips: Putting them around windows and doors will help cut down on drafts. 
  4. Plastic wrap: Cover your windows with plastic wrap during the winter. 
  5. Magnetic windproof door: I haven't seen anything like this in the USA, but in Korea it's very common. It's a thick plastic covering held together by magnets
  6. Draft stopper: Putting these at the bottom of doors will help keep out drafts. You can buy them or simply roll up a towel. 
  7. Put a blanket in front of your door: You can also use drapes. 

  1. Let hot water stand: After you wash dishes, boil water, or take a bath, leave the hot water until it cools off. This will add heat and humidity to your house cutting down on heating bills and dry air. 
  2. Ceiling fans: Not just for use in the summer, but running a ceiling fan in reverse can help push down the hot air. 
  3. Use your oven: Bake cakes and cookies. When you're done, keep the oven door open to help heat up your house. 
  4. Flannel sheets: They make a huge difference! I love my flannel sheets and switch them out for my regular sheets in the fall. 
  5. Electric blankets: They're much safer than they used to be. It's a lot cheaper than heating your whole house as well. 
  6. Electric floor mat: You can buy small or large electric floor mats. In Asia, people usually sit on the floor, so they buy an electric floor mat and spend most their time on it. 
  7. Indoor tent: Indoor tents may be used by children in the west, but in the east adults sit on their electric floor mats that are inside their indoor tents. You can also find tents that fit over beds. 
  8. Space heaters: Again, like electric blankets, space heaters are safer than they used to be. You still have to take precautions when using them.

Food and Drinks 
  1. Hot drinks and soup: Drinking hot drinks and eating hot soup is a great way to stay warm. 
  2. Ginger: Shown to improve circulation, eating foods with ginger or drinking ginger tea can help you keep warm. 
  3. High fat foods: Such as nuts or avocados, can help you feel warmers. 

  1. Hand warmers: In Korea these are available in convenience stores. Many of them can be boiled and re-used. Amazon also has a good selection. 
  2. Rice Socks: These are pretty easy to make. Take a clean sock, stick uncooked rice inside, tie a knot and chuck it in the microwave for 30-60 seconds. Some people put a mug of water next to the rice sock as it's in the microwave. You can also buy rice socks if you want. 
  3. Warm baths: Take a nice warm bath if you have a tub, or try just giving yourself a foot bath if you don't. 
  4. Exercise: Keeping active and exercising will keep you warm and burn calories.


Thursday 10 September 2015

Is the Middle East Still a Good Place to Teach English In?

Many people think that Middle Eastern countries are among the best countries to TEFL in. I've written about what it's like to teach in the Middle East before, but things change often. Like Korea, things certainly aren't the way they used to be.

Although more and more people are earning their MA online, some countries will not accept an MA that was earned online. To further complicate things, some ministries within the same country will accept them and some won't. Some places will not accept degrees done online unless you can prove that it was the same as a degree done in person. Lots of hoops to jump through.

Supply and Demand
More people are heading to the ME, especially those with families. Thanks to the internet people are starting to realise that TEFLing in the Middle East can lead to a great lifestyle. While there may still be risks to living there, it's not as bad as the news portrays it to be. People can save money and still afford to go on vacation and you usually get a good number of vacation days.

In addition, more people are earning their masters degree. This means that it's becoming an employers' market: more qualified people are trying to work in the ME than before.

It seems to be a worldwide trend, but salaries are lag behind inflation. You need to work more hours to buy things than before.

Let's not kid ourselves, we've all seen the news and hear about how dangerous the ME can be. Whether or not this is true depends on your definition of dangerous. Single people may be willing to take more risks than married people or those with children.

TEFL certainly isn't what it used to, but there is no utopia. Do you research and go with your gut.


Saturday 5 September 2015

Is Getting a Masters in TEFL Worth It?

From New Republic
Many people ask me if I think getting a Masters in TEFL or Applied Linguistics is worth it.

For me it has been. I have two masters, one in TEFL and one in Educational Administration. Without these I wouldn't have the job I have now. However, you have to choose what's right for you.

A Masters in TEFL may not be worth it if . . .
  • You're only planning on teaching for a gap year or two.
  • It wouldn't make sense financially.
  • TEFL isn't your main job.
  • You hate TEFLing and have a definite exit plan.

A Masters in TEFL may not be worth it if . . .
There are a number of masters that can be done online. Here is a list of hundreds of programmes around the world. You'll have to decide if TEFLing is right for you. If it is, I recommend getting a masters sooner rather than later.


Privacy Policy and FTC Disclosure

Please read TEFL Tips' Privacy Policy and FTC Disclosure.
Google Analytics Alternative Google Analytics Alternative