About the grant
The Christianson Grant is awarded to individuals who have arranged their own work abroad programs. Proposed programs must be at least six months in length and emphasize a work component. The grant program does not support independent research projects or academic study abroad programs.
Award Amount: $2,500 - $10,000
Application Deadlines: March 15, July 15, October 15
- U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents
- Between the ages of 18 and 28
- Participating in a work, internship, or volunteer abroad program.*
- Committed to a program duration of at least six months
- Willing to submit a written report upon completion of their program
How to Apply
Christianson Grants are awarded three times a year. Applications must be received by March 15, July 15, or October 15. Please submit hard copies of all the following materials via mail (electronic documents are not accepted):
- Completed and signed Christianson Grant Application
- Personal essay - A short essay (1 – 2 pages) that answers a question we will provide.
- Supplemental essay - A brief essay (2 – 3 paragraphs).
- Two letters of recommendation from academic instructors and/or employers - signed and sealed (may be submitted separately)
- Resume (no longer than 1 page)
- Photocopy of valid U.S. passport or permanent resident card
- $50 non-refundable application fee (check or money order payable to InterExchange, Inc.)
Mail Your Application to:
Attn: Grant Selection Committee
161 Sixth Avenue, 10th Floor
New York, NY 10013
Notification and Awarding of Grants
Grant awards are merit based. Grant recipients will be notified approximately 6-8 weeks after each grant deadline. Grants are disbursed to award recipients in two installments. The first installment is disbursed once the recipient’s arrival has been confirmed by a supervisor. The second installment is disbursed upon receipt of a completion report.
TEFL Tips recommends: