People have taken this info and extended it to learning languages. For example, Benny the Irish Polyglot also talks about learning styles. He wrote the language hacking guide and created the website, Fluent in 3 Months.
Due to this knowledge of learning styles, differentiated instruction, curriculum, and assessment is becoming more and more common in the classroom. The University of Toronto says that learning styles can be categorised into three categories.
- Perceptual modalities: physiological; using the five senses to learn
- Information processing: cognitive; thinking
- Personality patter: affective; motivation, values, emotions, and decision making process
- Dunn and Dunn: environmental, emotional, social, physiological, psychological
- Gardener: multiple intelligences theory
- Honey and Mumford: activist, reflector, theorist, pragmatist
- How boys and girls learn differently: different ways of thinking between genders
- Kolb: converger, accomodator, assimilator, diverger
- Meyers-Briggs: sensation, intuition, feeling, thinking
- VAK: visual, audio, kinesthetic
TEFL Tips recommends: