Monday 16 March 2009

Europe for Non-EU Citizens

Updated 8 May 2015


Money Matters
Europe is expensive there's no doubt about it. Elliot_spencer from Dave's ESL Cafe says that "it's hard to live on €1200 in Italy and you often lose a month or two of work during the summer." Someone else said that they spend 500 on rent, 100 on utilities, 250 on food, 80 on transport, and taxes are often around 40%.  Many Europeans prefer the Middle East or Asia over Europe. Europe - not a living wage to be found.With that being said when there's a will there's a way and most people go to Europe for the culture rather than the money. Nonetheless, there are some employers that pay well. I've put together a list of the best paying ones in Cyprus, France, Georgia, Latvia, Poland, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Spain, Turkey, UK, and Ukraine.

Europe: EU, Schengan, and more
It's easier to get visas for the new EU than the old EU. Check the official EU expansion website. Any EU country is possible if you have a sponsor such as an employer or spouse. Studying, starting a business, or retiring is also an option. These discussions have more info: the EU for Americans, getting a job in the EU without an EU passport, and a North American teaching in Europe.

Old EU Member States
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Luxembourg
  • Netherlands
  • Portugal
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • United Kingdom
New EU Member States
  • Bulgaria
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Estonia
  • Hungary
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Malta
  • Poland
  • Romania
  • Slovakia
More Countries to Join the EU
  • Albania
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Croatia
  • Macedonia
  • Montenegro
  • Serbia (Kosovo)
  • Turkey
If you are in one of these countries now try to get permanent residency or citizenship. This might help you if these countries join the EU. However, it may take up to 10 years after joining the EU for citizens from Croatia, the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Turkey, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Montenegro, and Serbia to be able to work in the other EU countries. Please see the official EU expansion website for more information.

Non-EU Countries
Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland have all elected not to be part of the EU. However, some countries have agreements that let their citizens live in EU member states.

Schengen Countries
There are 25 Schengen countries. Bulgaria, and Cyprus, Liechtenstein^, and Romania are scheduled to join shortly. You can find information more information in free travel in Schengen countries.
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France (Monaco*,**, ^)
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland**
  • Italy (San Marino^ and Vatican City^)
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway**
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain (and Andorra**,^, ^^)
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland** (and Liechenstein*,^)
* Monaco's visa requirements are the same as France.  Liechenstein's visa requirements are the same as Switzerland.
**Not European Union members.
^ Andorra, Liechenstein, Monaco, San Marino, and Vatican City are microstates. San Marino and Vatican City are de facto EU members. Andorra and Monaco aren't EU members; Liechenstein is a future member. Of these only Monaco can issue Schengen visas.
^^Not  a Schengen member.

Time in the Schengen Area
According to the Schengen Agreement, if you're not from an EU country or don't have a resident visa you can only stay 90 days out of 180 in the Schengen countries. Overstaying, living or working without a visa, could result in fines, arrest, deportation and/or being banned from entering Schengen countries in the future. If you're looking to travel, ITTP has lots of tips in his post that he wrote.

Getting Citizenship
There are 4 common ways to get citizenship: birth, marriage / civil partnerships, ancestry, and permanent residency. You can compare citizenship requirements through Canada Metropolis. You may also have to language, cultural, or history tests. In addition, some countries require you to give up your original citizenship. Here's info for France and Greece.
  • Birth: At least one of your parents will have to be a citizen of the country at the time of your birth.
  • Marriage (civil union, traditional / same-sex /  common law marriage): Many countries (such as Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greenland, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the UK) accept common law marriages, same-sex marriage, and/or same-sex unions. In Madrid Magazine has information about the pareja de hecho law which gives you a 5 year resident visa and after that you can apply for permanent residency.  Italy and France do not require residence. France requires you know French and to be married for 5 years if the French spouse is not registered with the French embassy or 4 years if the French spouse is registered. Italy requires those who live outside of Italy to be married for 3 years if you don't have children or 1.5 years if you do. If you live in Italy, the requirements are 2 years of marriage without children and 1 year of marriage with children. In Spain, it's only 1 year of marriage and residency. The UK requires you to live in the UK for 3 years.
  • Ancestry: Some places like Italy may go back to your great-grandparents (look for "Cittadinanza italiana per discendenza / Italian Citizenship through ancestors (iure sanguinis))". The UK has a five year ancestry visa and here's more info. Just because one of your parents was born in an EU country doesn't mean that it's easy to get citizenship. Here's my quest for Romanian citizenship.
  • Permanent Residency: After getting permanent residency you can get citizenship. It may take up to 10 years to get permanent residency though. You can compare citizenship requirements through Google Answers and this link. Studies can also help you get citizenship. France cuts the 5 year residency requirement to 2 years if you are working towards a degree in France.
Living Legally in the EU
There are many ways to live legally in the EU. Try also looking at teaching in eastern Europe, teaching in Europe, and UWEC.
  • Illegally being there: If you can prove that you have lived and worked (even if it's illegal) in Spain for at least 2 years then you can get empadronamiento. It's part of the arraigo laboral. Otherwise known as the outer limits law, it's only for illegals and you'll get residency. You can find more info at Anglo Info.
  • Marriage (traditional, civil union, same-sex, and common law): If you're in a marriage, (traditional, civil union, same-sex, or common law) with an EU citizen or resident you can get residency. Many countries, such as Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France (PACS), Germany, Greenland, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the UK accept common law marriages, same-sex marriage, and/or same-sex unions.  In Madrid Magazine has info about the pareja de hecho law which gives you a 5 year resident visa and after that you can apply for permanent residency
  • Study: Learning the language isn't as hard as you may think it is. France cuts the 5 year residency requirement down to 2 years if you are working towards a degree in France. CSIET information about studying abroad. Some countries will let you work part time while studying at a university. Italy for example, will allow you to work up to 20 hours a week. See this thread for info about studying in Italy. Universities in Europe are often cheap and may even be free, however, don't forget that you'll still have to pay for rent and food. In France, tuition for public institutions is less than €1000 a year. The Czech Republic,  Iceland, and some Scandanavian countries, such as Finland, Iceland, and Norway have free tuiton. Here's a BBC article about Germany's offers free tuition. Here's information about Norway: free tuition, living in Norway, permanent residency, scholarships, and work / residency permits. There are also lots of scholarships out there, such as EURAMUS (geared towards health studies).
  • Work: See the section below "Working Legally in the EU". 
Working Legally in the EU
Check out EURES. The skilled worker permit (also known as the Blue Card) has started. Some places like New Employment, i-to-i, CIEE, and World Teach all offer help with visas. Some countries, such as Holland and Belgium have straight forward methods to getting work visas. If you find an employer who will will a letter confirming you you'll be hired and you'll get a one year resident visa.
  • Au Pair: More information can be found in the article on working holiday visas.
  • Licensed Teachers: Qualified teacher might be able to work at an international schoolSpecialised schools such as Summer Hill School are also an option. See teaching exchanges for more info.
  • Find a Niche: If you have a high-demand career then you have a good chance of being sent to Europe. Technical, science, and engineering jobs are always in demand. Being sent abroad is one of the easiest ways to get into Europe.
  • Internships: More information can be found in the article on working holiday visas.
  • Get Sent Abroad: Work for a company that has branches in the EU.
  • Investor / Entrepreneur Visas: An investor is someone who invests a large amount of money. An entrepreneur is someone who starts a company or business. You might want to check out My Second Passport and My 2nd Passport for more info.
    • Cyprus allows permanent residency if you buy property or properties worth a total of at least €300,000.
    • Bulgaria requires about €500,000 for their investor visa. Invest Bulgaria Agency (a government run site) and Invest Bulgaria have information about residence and citizenship. You might want to hire a company such as Arton Capital to help with paperwork. 
    • France offers a skills and talents card and anyone could get it if their project is accepted. Or you could invest €300,000 and hire 2 French citizens.  
    • The Netherlands has an agreement with the US called the Dutch American Friendship Treaty. You have to create a business plan, have health insurance, invest at least €4,500 and practice a "free profession" like law or medicine. Here's more information about the programme in detail
    • Portugal has a golden visa which gives you permanent residency if you do one of two things: buy property or properties worth a total of at least €500,000 or start a company and hire ten employees.  
    • Spain also has a golden visa. You need to buy property or properties worth a total of at least €500,000 and you'll get permanent residency.
    • Switzerland offers an investor visa for those from non-EU countries. Those from EU countries can get a self-employment visa or an independent visa.  
    • The United Kingdom has an investor (£1 and £2 million ) and entrepreneur visa (£200,000).
  • Teaching at Camps: Some of them list you as a volunteer and you get a weekly stipend thus eliminating the need for a work visa.  You will often be teaching English or performing in an English Theatre.  See summer and winter camps for more info.
  • Teaching English:  See teaching exchanges for more info. Some TEFL courses will let you work in their institute after you pass their TEFL course. You can find jobs in, Euro Jobs, and Dave's ESL Cafe. Saxoncourt, SOL, IH, Bell, Berlitz, and ILS have been known to help with visas. Berlitz will help with visas allowing you to work in Bulgaria, Germany, Hungary, Latvia, Norway, Poland, and Slovenia. Basically you will have to go there for an interview and will only be given a freelance position.
  • Volunteer: Many volunteer agencies provide you with a visa and a stipend. Check out: CUSO, Geovisions, My Pro World, Peace Corps, Volunteers for Peace, VSO, and World Teach. CSIET has good info.
  • Work Online: If you're willing to move around you could work online. You'd have to leave the Schengen Area every 90 days. Try looking at teaching online and making money online.
  • Working Holiday Visas: Read the article on working holiday visas. Expect to earn about $700 to $1500 in Europe.
Country Specific Information
Published in . . .

Parts of this article have been published in the Turkish University Press.


Sunday 15 March 2009

Summer and Winter Camps

Updated 26 October 2012

Camp jobs are a good way to earn some extra cash during break. Just be aware that it's not as easy as it may seem: you’ll be with the kids all day long. You might start at 9am and finish at 9pm. Peace Boat is another option. It offers a chance to teach on board as well as visit a number of countries.

Where To Get TEFL Camp Jobs
Where you can work often depends on your experience, availability and nationality. Working holiday visas and Europe for non-EU passport holders has lots of good info. There are lots of camp jobs in North America, Europe and Asia, in particular Canada, China, France, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Poland, Spain, Switzerland, Taiwan, the UK, and the USA.

Pay and Benefits for TEFL Camp Jobs
The majority of camps take place during the summer and are usually 4 to 12 weeks in length. Winter camps last from 2 to 6 weeks Benefits vary from country to country and camp to camp, however, you should at least get free housing, meals, a weekly stipend, and one day off per week. Airfare, calling cards, visas and work permits might also be arranged for you.

Some places will get you a work visa, others won't. If they won't they'll have you come on a tourist visa and you will probably have to have a return or onward flight. Keep in mind that it is always illegal to work on a tourist visa. However, you'll probably be only working for a few weeks or a couple months and earning too little to raise any flags.

Finding a TEFL Camp Job
If you're in country you'll have a better chance of getting a job there since you'll have more contacts than those overseas. Second, you probably already have a visa and work permit. Third, it's usually cheaper to hire locally since the employer doesn't have to pay airfare. Usually places start advertising around mid-March for summer camps jobs (June to August) and around October for winter camp positions (January – February). Try checking the sites below.

Country Specific Camps


Privacy Policy and FTC Disclosure

Please read TEFL Tips' Privacy Policy and FTC Disclosure.
Google Analytics Alternative Google Analytics Alternative