How to Get the University Job in Korea that You WantUniversity jobs in South Korea are amazing, but how can you actually get one of them? Hopefully you have a masters degree, and are already living in Korea with a year or two of experience teaching adults because then it will not be so difficult. But, you never know because even if you don’t, it’s about being in the right place at the right time. Maybe someone decides not to take a job a week before the semester starts and they call you, looking for a warm body who is in Korea, with all their documents and ready to work. Or, maybe your friend who is already working at a university gives you a stellar recommendation.
In order to get a clearer picture of how people find university jobs in South Korea, I posted an informal poll on Facebook on the “Foreign Professors and University English Teachers in South Korea” group asking people about their experiences. There were about 200 participants and the responses were as follows:
- ESL Cafe Job Board: 36%
- Through a friend: 34%
- Through a job site besides ESL Cafe (people mentioned Profs Abroad and Chronicle of Higher Education): 14%
- Networking: 7%
- Dropping application off at a university or applying through the university website: 7%
Don’t forget to check out some additional resources by the author of this article, Jackie Bolen.
- "How to Get a University Job in South Korea: The English Teaching Job of Your Dreams."
- "How to Get a University Job in South Korea" Facebook page.
- My Life! Teaching English in a Korean University
TEFL Tips recommends: