Monday 16 November 2015

Getting Married in Korea: At the Gucheon (District Office)

This is part of the series, Getting Married While Living in Korea. Contrary to fact the embassies don't marry you: they just provide you with the paperwork so that you can get married in Korea. You will get married at the gucheon. Here's what Yongsan Gucheon requires.
  • Documents proving that you're able to get married (proof that you are either single, divorced, or widowed). You'll get this from your embassy. They will have to be translated into Korean. (If one of you is Korean then you'll get the necessary family registry documents.
  • A copy of your passport (or Korean ID if one of you is Korean)
  • Marriage application
  • Two witnesses (Ask if they need to be Korean. Some people have said that their gucheon requires the witnesses to be Korean)
Check with your embassy for more information about marriage in Korea. It's a civil ceremony. Religious ceremonies aren't legal in Korea. You will get a Korean marriage certificate and will probably need to have it translated, notarized, and apostillized if the country where you want to use it is in the Hague Agreement. If it's not, you'll also have to get it authenticated at the country's embassy in Korea. Lots of fun paperwork. Before you decide to get married in Korea, consider you and your future spouse's nationality and where you plan on living.

Before you get married, there are certain things that you should discuss. Here are some questions that although they are aimed at military couples, they still pertain to many couples. There are also many books with questions you should discuss before you get married. 


No comments :

Post a Comment

Spammers need not waste their time: all comments are moderated.

Privacy Policy and FTC Disclosure

Please read TEFL Tips' Privacy Policy and FTC Disclosure.
Google Analytics Alternative Google Analytics Alternative