Here are some ways to get your teaching license online or through an alternative programme. Find out more by reading teaching at an international school. There are also a number of good books that will tell you how to get an international school job.
Teaching Licenses and Awards Via Distance Education
All the places are in the U.S. unless otherwise noted. Some of them require you to complete student teaching on their campus while others let you do it at an international school overseas.
- You can see the requirements for all 50 States at SagePub.
- ACSI (The Associate of Christian Schools International) See also NICS.
- American College of Education (ACE)
- Bowie State with the University of Maryland for people in Japan
- Cambridge, U.K. has an International Teacher Certification
- Drexel University
- IBO, International (There are postgrad certificates and diplomas available for those who teach in or want to teach in IBO schools)
- Massachusetts Test for Educator License (MTEL)
- Montana State: Northern Plains Transition to Teaching
- Murdoch University, Australia
- Rio Salado University
- St Cloud State University
- Teacher Ready is through the University of West Florida. Takes 9 months. Here are some reviews of the programme. You will have to do the tests in the USA.
- Teach Now is through Washington DC and takes 9 months. You do not have to go back to the USA to take tests.
- The College of New Jersey MEd and licensure completed over three summers in various countries around the world.
- University of California Riverside
- University of North Carolina Online
- University of West Florida has a programme called Teacher Ready. Takes 9 months.
Here are some reviews of the programme.
- University of Western Texas
- University of Southern Queensland offers a GDTL (Graduate Diploma in Learning and Teaching), Australia
- Walden University
- Western Governers University
This section is for Americans and those living in the US. Alternative Certification Programmes are becoming popular as are teaching fellowship programmes. Be aware that often these positions are in high-needs schools, where up to half of the students dropout or in special needs schools.You can check salaries at Teacher Portal.
- All Education Schools
- Arizona Teaching Fellows
- Denver Teaching Fellows
- Education Degree
- Georgia Teaching Fellows
- I Teach Texas
- Memphis Teaching Fellows
- Nashville Teaching Fellows
- Teach Charlotte
- Teacher World
- Teach Now
- Texas Teaching Fellows
TEFL Tips recommends: